Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm Not Calling You A Liar; Just Don't Lie To Me

"I thought I loved you. I truly did.

I could write a never-ending list of your positive traits. Defend you against all who tried to bring you down.  I knew your worth; at least, I told myself I did. But after awhile, the negative words of others just stuck. Insecurity and doubt seeped in and my perception of you changed. I believed them instead of you. They broke you down and so I broke down at your side.

So I lied.

I didn't love you the way I meant to. I couldn't love you the way I tried.

But now?

I know better.

You aren't a victim. You aren't entitled. You are human, guided by fear. What you have is choice. You owe nothing to anyone but yourself, and you choose how others affect you. You can choose to fight fear.

Let them try to hurt you. You cannot be touched, unless you allow it.

Knowing what I know now, and knowing who you can be, I can honestly say that I love you and who you are.

And I'm not alone."


If you wrote a letter to yourself, would it look anything like mine?

Have you learned what I've learned?

8 comments:

ghost said...

mine would contain a lot more four letter curses.

TS said...

Mine usually would too, but I was trying to be nicer than I tend to be.

Anonymous said...

I really love this post, Kris. It's very real and honest, and shows your personal growth. Bravo!

TS said...

Thank you.

It's the result of counselling and a book called What Happy People know. Puts it all in the right perspective.

Phil said...

Its really beautiful writing. Good post.

TS said...

Thanks, Phil!

Anonymous said...

You're right. You're not alone in loving you.

TS said...

Thanks. You know someone?